Thursday, May 31, 2012

*Scream*

So, this was pretty much crazy.
Yesterday morning, I went to my friend Jenna's graduation.  I was already really really nervous for it because Ty went to her school and is in her graduating class...
Bah, nervousy here!
Peter asked me if I would let him come because he thought I'd need moral support, and boy was he right.
As soon as I woke up in the morning, I was already on edge. The whole time I was getting ready, I was on edge. When I was eating breakfast, when I was driving to go pick up Peter, when we were driving down to the university for the graduation, I was on edge.
The worst was walking from the parking lot into the building and up to find seats. I had no idea where his family was, or where he was, and I didn't want to find out.
Pomp and Circumstance started to play over the loud speakers and the graduates started filing in.  I had no idea where my friend was, or what she really looked like, and it didn't really matter because I couldn't keep my eyes off the line of guys steadily marching into the stadium. When there were three rows, I began to get my hopes up that maybe he had graduated early like he always talked about, and literally right as I thought that, I saw his face on the big screen.
My heart stopped, and I grabbed onto Peter's sleeve. 
Through the whole ceremony, my hands were shaking and I was looking around nervously for his family. I didn't see them anywhere close by, so when the time came for all the graduates to walk and receive their diplomas, I listened carefully when they called his name and discovered his family was somewhere to my right and down several rows. 
I relaxed a bit and was able to sit through the rest without much strain on my nerves, and the ceremony ended.  The recession began and we all stood while the graduates filed out, but for some reason almost everyone around me and Peter decided to check out early, so we were basically all by ourselves up on the second to top row.  I looked around, and suddenly I saw Ty's little sister, then focusing closer, I recognized his mom, his older sister, and his brother.
"I see his family." I remarked to Peter, who asked and began to look around.  I pointed in the general direction and began describing the color and patterns of their shirts to him, when again I noticed something very alarming.
They were all staring at me! 
I panicked and pushed Peter towards the stairs.
"We need to get out of here, they saw me." I said urgently as he tried to talk over me, saying everything was fine. Nothing would calm my nerves and I made him blend into the crowd with me.
It took probably 15 minutes to finally get down the stairs and outside, and then we had to find Jenna.
Jenna doesn't have a phone, so we had to just wander every which way throughout the crowd and I was certain I would have my head turned one way and I'd look and there he would be, so for that reason, I kept a constant scan of the crowd and finally spotted her.  I gave her the card I bought, and we talked for a bit, then I told her that I needed to go so I didn't run into him, and lo and behold, his best friend stood right in the way of where we needed to go to leave.
I growled in frustration and led Peter in a wide bank around him back to the sidewalk. Once back on track, I made a bee-line for my car with Peter close behind me. Once in the car, I took several deep breaths and started the engine.  
We were stuck in traffic, typical for big events, and as we were waiting behind a small, white truck, a brown SUV came in from the opposite direction, needing to go the same way.  Completely honestly, I jumped and covered my mouth so I wouldn't scream when I recognized Ty in the passenger seat.  Immediately, I hid behind my steering wheel, not that that's inconspicuous at all, and waited for them to get at least 100 feet ahead before venturing forward again. 
Again, back on track, we needed to turn left and Peter suddenly said "Just keep going straight." 
"Why?" I asked.
"Just keep going straight." He repeated, and my heart stopped again.
"You see him, don't you?" I demanded.
"Maybe, I'm not sure. Ok, yes. Yes, I see him."
"Where?"
"To your left, behind the white car."
I looked, and on the main road to the left, the one we needed to get on, there they were again, stuck in their own flow of traffic.  I set my jaw.
"I don't care. If he sees me, he sees me. Whatever."
Peter shrugged, "Ok." 
Thankfully, they were gone before we got to turn, and that was the last I saw of them for the rest of the morning. Throughout the rest of the day, I couldn't stop thinking about him.  He had come to my graduation, and we talked so often about me coming to his, so I couldn't help but want to do something nice for him, to recognize his achievement. But, I didn't know how to do it. I had to leave something on his porch, and then try to not get caught doorbell ditching.
He'd caught me in the act of that before, while we were together.
This was definitely a bad time to get caught again.
I had to work during the afternoon, and I ended up drawing a big street map all across the white board at work and had my co-workers help me come up with a plan of how to not be seen and still be able to make sure he got it.
So, that night, I was talking to Peter again, and he wasn't feeling well, but his friend, Fidget, wanted to hang out, and I'd met him before, and we'd all hung out together, so I told him why not he and I do something together. He said it would be fun to help me with my doorbell ditch plan.
I ended up getting him a cheesy graduation card and a big-sized Dark Chocolate hershey's bar. After writing my own little message without signing my name in the card, we pulled up across the street from his house, and spent a good 10 minutes exploring how to make the car not turn the Emergency lights on when we needed to open and close the door.
Once we had figured it out, I went across the street, and tip-toed to his porch. Adrenaline was pumping through my veins and I could barely stand up, but I set my gift on his porch, on the door mat, tapped the doorbell, and ran for my life back to the van, hurling myself in the backseat but missing, landing awkwardly, half on the seat, half outside the car. I shut the door, and we watched for several minutes, but no one came.
"You've got to be kidding me." I groaned, and got out again. 
I scurried across the street, but this time took extra measures to make sure they wouldn't suddenly open the door as I was re-approaching.  Once at the door step, my heart was pounding so hard I could feel it in my head. Counting to 3, I knocked on the door several times, loudly, and again, booked it for my life to the van. I had twisted my ankle a little bit on the way but it didn't matter.  
Once settled and safe in the car again, we watched for several minutes and finally, his little brother answered the door and took the envelope and chocolate bar inside.  
Mission Accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment