Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I feel like I should be shouting "I'm free!"

Ty is getting set apart as a missionary today, and I feel totally fine about it.  
I met his girlfriend on Sunday, and let me just say, I don't think I like her very much.  First of all, according to Ty, it was her idea to have me come inside and actually talk to him.
Probably so she could do exactly what she did. >:( 
It was really annoying.
I got to his house, and went inside, and I felt super awkward anyway, and he asked me to come sit in the living room.  I did, and he and I talked for a while. There was no sight of his girlfriend. But not for long, because soon enough, there she was, flouncing up the stairs with his siblings.  
I chose to be civil and when I was introduced, I was very nice. But pretty soon, as he and I were talking about more stuff, such as how my family is and such, she came over with his sister and they sat next to him. His sister sat between them, but in not too long, she got up, and his girlfriend scooted over real close to him.
I knew this was coming, so I don't know why I was surprised. 
She pressed herself as closely as she could to him, but he didn't move.  In fact, he almost looked annoyed.  Then she grabbed his arm and put it around her, and he just kinda went with it.
This whole time, she was staring at me like "Yeah, he's mine, not yours."
and I really wanted to say "Really? You're not proving a point. You're just making me really not like you, now cut it out."
The fact that he looked annoyed was just priceless though.
Afterward, he kept asking me over and over again if I wanted a cookie, or a brownie, or something that they'd had at his farewell brunch thing, because they had tons left over, and at first I just said "no thanks." but then he kept asking, so I finally told him that I don't eat gluten/flour much anymore, and he looked so bewildered, it was hilarious.
He was like "what?"
So I said it again, and he looked even more confused.
"Why?" He asked, so I told him that it's been helping my complexion clear up, and plus the little fact that it's been helping me lose weight, which is awesome.
I told him I've been slowly but steadily losing weight because, in my words, "come on, I don't really have that much to lose."
His girlfriend shot me a look, because she's a little rounder than me, and I suspect my acknowledgement of my own slenderness was somewhat threatening to her.
It was a little rewarding, after her figurative slap in my face, to have a little comeback.
 After talking a little more, they were all getting impatient because they wanted Ty to come play a game with them, so I decided it was time for me to leave. He walked me out to my car, because I told him I needed to ask him something without his girlfriend around.
When I got all my things in my car, I turned and asked him,
"Why was it so important to you for me to come today?"
and he said,
"Well, you were a very influential person in my life, and even though things didn't work out between us, I wouldn't be the person that I am today if we didn't go through what we did."
I was shocked by his statement, but I nodded, and once he explained a little more in detail, he gave me a short hug, then went back inside.

Today, he was set apart as a missionary.
Which means I'll be completely free of everything regarding him for a month before I leave for my own mission. He suspects that he'll probably see me in the MTC, but I don't really mind. If I see him, it'll most likely be in passing, and then I'll have 18 months completely free of him!
That will probably do me a lot of good.
I actually got a letter from Nick today, which helped boost my spirits :) although, it wasn't a very long letter. It was only a small note about things that he didn't say in his last letter.
It's ok though, I can wait a few more days for the long letter I'm expecting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment