Saturday, October 25, 2014

Marriage proposal...Question Mark?

So, probably one of the weirdest things of my 
whole life happened today.
Ok, so, I have this friend, who used to be my
'boyfriend' in 8th grade, but come on.
8th grade is 8th grade...
Time has gone by, and we've still been friends,
but I've NEVER had an interest in him
to ever be more than that, because I think
he's a bit manipulative.
I'll show you why in a second.
Ever since I got back from my mission, 
he's been wanting to call me and talk to me about
'something', but he wouldn't tell me what, 
because I wouldn't call him.
I didn't want him to have my phone number,
and dag-gum, if he starts calling me all the time now,
I can block his number, so no biggie, right?
I hope not.
Tonight, he was on my case about it again,
so I finally said "What the heck? Fine."
So, I called him, and asked what he wanted to
talk to me about.
He started off by reminding me that he and his 
former wife are divorced, and I knew
what was coming next.
He asked if I had any interest in him as more than
friends. 
I said I 'wasn't sure', because "I'm trying to not be
'more than friends' with anyone right now"
That may or may not be true.
Ok it's not true.
But, I knew where he was going, 
and I was trying to be kind.
He went on to tell me that he's been given 3-5 
years to live by his doctor before he's 
supposed to die.
He has cancer.
So, he's down to just over a year before
he hits the 3 year mark.
To cut to the chase, basically 
he asked me to marry him.
He tried to encourage me that "if we spent more
time talking, texting, spending time together, etc.,
I'd probably see that there's something there."
Thanks for telling me how I'm going to feel.
Not happening.
Then, to add to it, he goes on to tell me
that ever since he was 12, all he's ever wanted to be
was a dad, and he's afraid that now he won't get
the chance, so he was wanting to get married before
his time is 'up', but he didn't think he's find anyone
soon enough, so he wanted to try for someone
he already knows, and likes, and so he wanted to ask
me if I would be up for it.
You don't just ask someone if they're 'up for marrying you'.
Marriage isn't just a split-second decision.
Let's think about this for a second:
If I were to marry him, he's made it clear that all he 
wants from me is a child so he can be a father before he dies.
And then, say I were to marry him, I'd probably have a 
Honeymoon baby, and then just a few months after that,
my husband would be dead, and I would be left
as a widow, with a very young child.
Would that sound like a good idea to anyone?
Let me know if I'm just being judgmental here.
But I'm pretty sure I'm not.
Don't get me wrong, I feel terrible for him,
terminal illnesses are not something I have a whole
lot of experience with, but I do know what it's like
to have someone close to me die. 
That in and of itself isn't fun.
It's got to be just awful for it to be yourself.
But, he wants to be a father so bad that he's 
willing to potentially ruin the life of a woman 
just so he can say he was a father before he dies?
I believe in dreams.
But I don't believe in dreams that ruin other people's lives.
And that's certainly not going to be my life.
So yeah, I had my first marriage proposal tonight...
It was really weird.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment