Saturday, September 8, 2012

This particular day gets more dull every year.

Do me a favor and don't read this post. 
It's just me ranting about a really unimportant subject,
and I don't want to make anyone feel bad.
So don't read it.

It wasn't so dull when I had a special someone occupying my life,
but now that I'm single, and I'm not a fan of flaunting the fact
that I'm getting old to all of my friends, nobody remembers it.
I don't even really feel like it's my birthday at all.
How droll is that?
You'd think that the day I came into existence would be of
some significance to me, but I'm having a really hard time being
grateful for the gift of life I've been given if no one else seems
to appreciate it.
Perhaps that's just me being selfish.
My parents made me breakfast in bed this morning though,
which was really nice of them, but I'll admit, I almost wanted to cry.
Is that how it'll be for the rest of my life?
The only people who will notice that I'm getting old are my parents?
I mean, even the person I had hoped would remember the most 
hasn't said anything about it at all. But then again, I don't
talk to him very often.

I don't know. Sometimes I seriously confuse myself.
I hate talking about what I want other people to do for me
for my birthday.  I can't be that self-centered, even on a day
when it should be "all about me",  I don't want it to be.
Because really, it's just another day to everybody else.
Kinda lame to think of it that way, I know, but I do.  I can't
really help it.
I mean, do people really appreciate each other's birthdays?
They always say "We're so grateful you came into our lives on
this day" but do they really mean it?
I feel like I'm losing my faith in humanity, but perhaps for a good 
reason.
I've had too many years of disappointment to expect any 
different now. 
I haven't even gotten a call from my Grandma today, and she 
usually doesn't forget anything. 
Maybe that's just the curse of being the second child.
You always get bypassed, because you're not the first,
and you're not the last either, and your're not in the middle, and
any middle child will always claim that they are ignored and 
forgotten the most.
I beg to differ.
In my family of 5 kids, my older brother was celebrated on turning
20 this year.  My sister was celebrated on turning 12. 
My first younger brother turned 10.
My youngest brother will soon be celebrated because he'll be 3,
and he's the youngest anyway.
Me?
I'm 19.
Big freakin deal.
One year closer to leaving my teen years behind, and
I'm the only one who's really noticed.
It's the days like these that make me really wish I still had 
a boyfriend.
Someone who could make me feel special by simply smiling
at me and telling me how special I am to him.
He'd make it a point to remember all the special dates because
he knew they matter to me.
But, for now, I guess I just have to keep being forgotten, by
all except my doting parents, who, despite my reluctant attempts
to get them to notice what it was that I sincerely hoped for
for my birthday, got me lip gloss.
Really awesome birthday, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment